Thursday 13 November 2014

Musical Me

Hi, My name is Cade Manuel . I am 14years old and I'm in 7th grade. I started this blog to improve my writing skills. I will be writing a different blog  everyday and posting it.

 Today I'll be elucidating about one of my favorite hobbies,  playing the guitar. My parents had found an instructor who came home to teach us. At first, I didn't like it.  My fingers kept hurting and the instructor made me play a chromatic exercise for two whole hours,every week,  even though I got bored playing it. 

Two weeks later, after I got used to playing the exercise he moved me to the C major scale. Now I'm sure that sounds pretty exciting until you hear that that's one of maybe hundreds of scales! A week later he taught me how to play the same scale in a different pattern, a new chromatic exercise and the tune of   "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star"  which took a while to learn. On that same day, he told me I had to start playing the guitar using the alternating picks.

 The next day,  during guitar practice ( Note: Instructor only comes once a week) I slowly started gaining interest and becoming more excited of what I could do on the guitar. That week I practiced so much that the skin on my finger tips started hardening. By the time the tutor came back the next week, I was super excited and prepared for the class.

 That day, he showed me the formula for creating "Major Scales."  He also showed me that there was a finger pattern that you had to follow when creating a scale. He then drew the  Circle of Fifths in my Music notebook. He said that the Circle of Fifths helped  you remember all the twelve scales and how many sharps each one of them had. Once he had left, my head was buzzing.  He said I had to remember the Circle of fifths by Friday. I had three days, however, it was a little to tough.

 On the day he arrived, I was practicing really hard to remember the scales and the Circle of fifths,when he just told me to play this new pattern on the G major Scale.  I can play that pattern quite well... until you ask me to play it backwards, no that's where I goof up! That week he also taught me how to play a bit of the Fur Elise.  Well after that I have been practicing pretty hard, I practice whenever I get some free time.

Just last week he taught me a cool broken chord that sounded a lot like tunes they use in Caribbean music. He told me we'd be doing Minor scales next week and I was super excited! New scales yipe! 

Yesterday he taught me the The Minor Scales and their relatives! My brother says they sound "piratey" and that they sound like they are from the Pirates of the Caribbean Theme Song. I agree with him! Nowadays, I don't struggle with those measly chromatics. No. Nowadays, I find the newer stuff complicated, but I know that the feeling is only there because I don't know that particular scale or exercise that well.

This is Cade Manuel signing off .....

 

6 comments:

  1. Goo Cade. Keep it coming. Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darling Cade,

    I love your style of writing. Never underestimate yourself. Keep writing and your creative juices flowing. :)

    Love,

    Mum

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed your writing style, Cade. Now you have two great hobbies...guitar - music for the soul and writing - creative thoughts of the mind. Keep them coming...best wishes!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You! I am determined to keep writing... My second post is already out here is the link: http://cadesjournal4.blogspot.in/2014/11/fun-with-football.html ..
      I'll have my next post up my tomorrow morning at the latest :)

      Delete